Re: new ibm-acpi maintainer

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006, Len Brown wrote:
> Also, it is ideal if we can maintain the invariant that the source is Lindent clean.
> (right now ibm_acpi.c is very close to clean.  I often Lindent after patches,
>  but not always -- simpler if you do it before sending to me)

Lindent doesn't do that well with some of the stuff in the patches, but I
will keep everything as Lindent-clean as possible, yes.  I will also see if
I can reformat it to be Lindent-friendly on the areas where Lindent doesn't
do the right thing.

> This is why I generally do not permit any new files under /proc/acpi,
> and why we are trying over time to delete them all and use generic sysfs
> places instead.

ibm-acpi needs a serious revamp on the stuff it *already* exports to
/proc/acpi, so that people will stop blindly echoing stuff directly to EC
space through /proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump.

But as soon as it becomes practical to do so (i.e. as soon as I can find a
sane way to place ibm-acpi in the device model -- currently this means I am
waiting the ACPI patches to go in), I intend to fully move to sysfs, and
freeze (and schedule for removal) the procfs interface.

>   eg. you've seen the recent changes to put brightness under sysfs
>   in the backlight section, and the recent discussion about a generic
>   battery interface, and the recent dock driver and bay driver.

Yes, I have paid quite close attention to them all.

>   This means announcing feature removal and documenting
>   it in Documentation/feature-removal.txt and adding #ifdefs
>   for the legacy stuff, then finally removing it.

Indeed.  For ibm-acpi, I will go with the shortest deprecation periods you
allow me to when the time to do it comes.  Some userland is doing
unforgivable sins to parse the ibm-acpi procfs output, and I want to see all
that bogosity *gone*.

>  On a minor, but related note,  at some point, ibm_acpi.c should be moved
>  outside of /drivers/acpi, probably to drivers/misc where other
>  platform specific drivers are starting to congregate.

Sure.  Whenever you feel like it is the right time to do it, we shall do it.

>    the ACPI spec itself, and is thus not part of ACPI.  Can still call it
>   ibm_acpi.c, and I'll still be happy to handle patches to it,
>   but the line between the implementation of the ACPI spec and the
>   platform specific drivers that use ACPI has to be more clear.

It is a done deal, then.  Just tell me when you want it moved.

A first lot of patches for ibm-acpi will follow soon.  I can also provide
them through git if you'd prefer that.

  Henrique Holschuh
-