Re: hp dv8000t dead on resume from RAM

Quoting "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@xxxxxxx>:

> On Wednesday 09 August 2006 20:01, Brannon Klopfer wrote:
> > Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> caps
> entirely

> [ext2/3])

> result
> commands
> either. I've

> working.
> patch,
> > >>

> > > First, please apply the appended patch and try the following:
> > >
> > > (1)
> > > # echo testproc > /sys/power/disk
> > > # echo disk > /sys/power/state
> > >
> > > This should turn off the non-boot CPU, freeze all processes, wait for
> 5
> > > seconds and then thaw the processes and the CPU.
> > >
> > Works fine. FWIW, after applying the patchs (so as to have
> > 2.6.18-rc3-mm2), my internal keyboard didn't work, so I used a USB one.
>
> That is specific to 2.6.18-rc3-mm2 and has nothing to do with the
> suspend.
> There should be a patch for that in hot-fixes.
>
> > It could be my simple .config'ing error, didn't spend much time with
> it,
> > but know that I did use a USB keyboard, hence USB support in the
> kernel.
> > > (2)
> > > # echo test > /sys/power/disk
> > > # echo disk > /sys/power/state
> > >
> > > This should turn off the non-boot CPU, freeze all processes, shrink
> > > memory, suspend all devices, wait for 5 seconds, resume the devices
> etc.
> > > IOW it does everything that's needed for a suspend except for
> actually
> > > suspending.
> > >
> > With *legacy* ata_piix, it works fine, as does a "real"
> suspend-to-disk.
> > It still *will not* resume properly from suspend-to-RAM, with and
> > without noapic.
>
> I think I know what the problem is, but unfortunately I have no patch for
> that.  Please look at
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0607.3/1566.html
> but the fix discussed there is for AMD/NVidia only.

Hmmm...I did try a kernel with *no* SATA or IDE support, and used a pen
drive for my root; would that rule out that sort of problem, or does the
hardware freak out regardless of whether or not there's a driver for it?

> > Using native ahci and the "test" suspend-to-disk, the system hangs. I
> > did this from init=/bin/bash with vga=794 (so I could see all output),
> > however, at least the last few lines match w/vga=0 (i.e., fb didn't
> > affect problem). The hand-copied (pardon any typos) output is:
>
> Some additional patches are needed for the AHCI suspend, AFAIK.
> I thought they were on the way to the mainline, but it looks like I was
> wrong.  See:
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0607.2/0885.html

I tried to patch the kernel with the "test/testproc" suspend to disk trick,
but it didn't apply cleanly; I applied it cleanly to 2.6.18-rc4 and then
copied drivers/scsi/ahci.c to the "test/testproc" kernel, but it didn't
seem to make a difference.

Thanks,
Brannon
-