Re: Acer smart battery: acpi_sbs and linux-2.6.17

Berthold Cogel <cogel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> But I seem to have lost the ability to hibernate/resume. I consistently
>> get "swsusp: not enough free memory". Does 2.6.17 take so much more
>> memory than 2.6.16?
>
> For my System it's only about 1 MB difference in runlevel 1 with
> 2.6.17.1 compared with 2.6.16.20.

I've gone back to 2.6.16, and didn't notice a significant difference
in 'free' figures so the size increment is probably neglectible.
But I can only hibernate when I stop X first, while with 2.6.16 I'm
could hibernate with a fully loaded (X, WM, Emacs, Xterms) system.

BTW I hibernate with

  cd /sys/power; echo shutdown > disk; echo disk > state

I don't use the pm-hibernate program (doesn't seem to make a
difference, except that I cannot choose a kernel upon boot).

> But I'm using suspend to disk with suspend2.

I've been told that swsusp2 and swsusp share the same memory
limitation: at least half of the memory must be freeable for suspend
to be able to continue. But it could be a problem with swsusp that it
somehow isn't able to free enough memory.

Since 2.6.16 swsusp does everything I need, I never tried swsusp2.
Last time I looked it seemed work in fast progress, much like a moving
target. Besides I'd like to stick as closely as possible to my
standard Fedora kernel so I can still use the prebuilt kernel modules.

-- Johan
-