Re: Re: [patch 11/18] pnpacpi: reject ACPI_PRODUCER resources

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:02:48 +0800
Von: Shaohua Li <shaohua.li@xxxxxxxxx>
An: castet.matthieu@xxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: [patch 11/18] pnpacpi: reject ACPI_PRODUCER resources

> On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 14:02 +0200, castet.matthieu@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > Selon Shaohua Li <shaohua.li@xxxxxxxxx>:
> >

> http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=c4bb6f5ad968540d7f9619565bacd18d7419b85f
> > > Thanks and sorry I didn't find the issue before. We'd better blacklist
> > > root bridge. I saw at lest one BIOS (IA64 box) didn't assign correct
> > > producer/consumer flag to root bridge resources. Blacklist it is much
> > > safer.
> >
> > Is only PNP0A03 is producer type in __all__ ACPI possible devices ?
> > If not we will have the same problem with others devices...
> >
> > I don't think blacklist is the solution : pnpacpi should be able to
> handle all
> > ressources types : we should complete the implementation instead of
> blacklist
> > devices our implementation doesn't support.
> >
> > If there are broken ACPI bios, there should be firmware update, a
> patched dsdt
> > or a quirk, but no "quirk and no generic solution".
> >>From my understanding, if the device is really a PNP device its resource
> should not be producer.
> Or could we take this way, merge both patches (both patches are good to
> me), which should be safer. Anyway, it doesn't make sense to export root
> bridge to pnp layer to me.
>
> Thanks,
> Shaohua

I tested the patch without blacklisting the PNP resource at the same time under 2.6.17-rc6-mm*, and did not find any regression.
And I am sure there is a solution also for IA64 architectures without going  the blacklist path which sounds a bit strange after having done such a big effort of real good work.
Unfortunately I do not own an IA64 architecture, so I neither cannot test nor understand Shaohua´s criticism on that.
Under latest mm-patches (mm1, mm2, mm3 for official release of 2.6.17) it is at least impossible for me to give any positive feedback, as all three mm-versions are simply unusable. I will feature this in another mail to Andrew.

Cheers

Uwe

-