Re: toshiba satelli 1800-712

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 18:52 +0200, Maurizio Bongini wrote:
> the problem is during reboot processing
> win xp is able to correctly shutdown and reboot , linux  not
> to better inform i shortly describe the reboot process on both operating
> systems
> toshiba satellite 1800-712  indications leds are :
> ac volatage plugged - power on light - battery status - hard disk - removable
> media
> winxp :
> after closing applications finally the screen blanks ,the power on light is
> turned off
> for two seconds (only ac voltage and batery light are on ) ,then pc is turned
> on again
> the first screen apperas with the toshiba logo and the options to enter bios
> setup
> win xp uses acpi
> linux:
> the system shutdowns correctly but reboot process is unable to turn off the
> power on light,so the system hangs with the 3 leds (ac voltage - power on -
> battery status ) on
> and a blank screen : to exit from this situation i have to keep the power
> on/off button pressed for 4 sec. to turn off the machine.
> (poweroff command correctly  works)
> linux uses acpi
> so it seems that win xp reboots acting a power off/on process
> linux not follow this path so power is still on and screen blanks (the toshiba
> logo with
> bios setup option is not displayed)
>
> actions performed :
> i had this problem also with my first linux distro : mandrake 9.2 i had it
> with mandrake 10.1 and now with mandriva 2006 .... i tried also to installal
> suse 9.3 but the results are always the same
> i tried many acpi options (force ,etc etc ) without success
> i tried to add reboot=b to lilo
> iinstalled the last bios from toshiba site
> i'm not the same with this problem...please google "reboot  toshiba satellite
> 1800-712"
> no one found a fix or a bypass for this
>
> in my humble opinios this seems to be a new bug
> i available to perform some test
> if also in yours opinion this is a new bug,then please bring me in contact
> with an acpi developer
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Maurizio
>

> (here are some info i hope will be useful to debug)
>

> kernel:Linux version 2.6.12-12mdk (apatard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 4.0.1
> (4.0.1-5mdk for Mandriva Linux release 2006.0)) #1 Fri Sep 9 18:15:22 CEST
> 2005
> Software:
> dual booting win xp & linux
> bootmanager : lilo 22.6.1
> distribution: mandriva 2006
> kernel: 2.6.12-12ndk
> acpi:  0.07
> acpid: 1.0.4
> /proc/acpi/info version:  20050309
> apm not used
> toshiba acpi enabled
> [root@localhost acpi]# ls  toshiba
> fan  keys  lcd  version  video

> [...]

Does the laptop have a serial adapter?
If not, I don't know how to debug that (There will be firescope to
redirect kernel output over firewire, but that is future).

If yes, connect the machine over a crossed serial cable with another
one. On the remote machine watch the serial output with e.g.
screen /dev/ttyS0 57600
On the machine that gets debugged add the kernel option
console=ttyS0,57600
You should now see the kernel messages popping up on the remote screen
session.

Try to boot a SuSE debug kernel.
If it does not boot you have to compile the kernel yourself:
 - Install the kernel-source.rpm
 - cd /usr/src/linux
 - cp arch/i386/defconfig.default .config
 - Edit .config and search for ACPI_DEBUG and set this line to:
     ACPI_DEBUG=y
 - make
 - make install modules_install
 - mkinitrd
 - add a new boot entry for the kernel/initrd in /boot/grub/menu.lst
 - reboot

Now you can enable extended ACPI debugging (carefully, not too high):
echo 0x1F >/proc/acpi/debug_level

I wonder whether the machine hangs while processing some ACPI functions
and which.

Best you first search on http://bugzilla.kernel.org whether a similar
bug exists and try to help there.
If there is none, create a new one describing your problem, assign it to
the ACPI component and take me into CC, please.

Thanks,

     Thomas

-