Re: [patch 17/26] acpi: ia64: wake on LAN fix

Hi Len,

At Sat, 1 Apr 2006 22:16:48 -0500,
Brown, Len wrote:

> >From: Satoru Takeuchi <takeuchi_satoru@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >Currently wakeup capability is available if and only if
> >CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y.  But S5 is not a sleep state.  This patch
> >makes ACPI
> >subsystem to be able to wakeup from S5 state even if sleep mode is not
> >supported.
>
> Is the goal to use wakeup devices for S5
> with a kernel that has CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=n?

Yes.

> Why is it important not to have CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y?

As mentioned my patch header, currently wakeup capability is available iff
sleep mode is supported (CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y) and ia64 linux doesn't support
sleep mode yet.  Hence ia64 linux can't accomplish wake up from any system
state.

Refer to ACPI Kconfig file, CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP is clearly for suspend feature.

	$ less drivers/acpi/Kconfig
	(snip)
	config ACPI_SLEEP
		bool "Sleep States"
		depends on X86 && (!SMP || SUSPEND_SMP)
		depends on PM
		default y
		---help---
		  This option adds support for ACPI suspend states.
	(snip)

But S5 is not a sleeping state (it is a soft off state) and not relevant to
suspend feature, so I think wakeup from S5 should be available regardless of
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP.

> I'm not excited about all the ifdefs.

Me neither. But I didn't come up with smart alternative...

Thanks,

Satoru Takeuchi
-