Re: gcc i16

Hello,

Current maintainer of GCC-IA16 has completed a first round to implement the "far" pointers and to support the MSDOS 'MZ' executables (for the needs of DOSEMU & FREEDOS, see https://archive.fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/dosemu_and_freedos_past_present_future/attachments/slides/2466/export/events/attachments/dosemu_and_freedos_past_present_future/slides/2466/dosemu_freedos.pdf).

He is now experimenting various ways to extend that support of multi-segmented code & data. See https://github.com/tkchia/gcc-ia16/issues.

So tiny, small and medium memory models are now supported, but not yet the compact, large & huge ones.

Old compilers support all that models for sure, but we prefered to stop depending on legacy stuff (even if still maintained by skilled people) and join the mainstream, so either GCC or LLVM. As a previous contributor already made the room clear for GCC, we naturally took the shortest way.

Thanks,

MFLD.fr