Re: New GCC compiler for 8086 cpu's

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 10:58 PM, David O'Shea <dcoshea@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think I saw some posts earlier where someone had compiled something
> in ELKS with OpenWatcom and as a result contributed some ANSI
> C-related fixes.  Perhaps it was just the kernel though?

Yes, only kernel functions.

> I wasn't aware of this concern.  I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that
> I see what you are talking about.  I'm not clear on the differences
> between some of the clauses, but in
> https://github.com/open-watcom/open-watcom-v2/blob/master/license.txt
> I see:

Neither me. Anyway, I read that license and concluded that the problem is:

2.1 You may use, reproduce, display, perform, modify and distribute Original
Code, with or without Modifications, solely for Your internal research and
development and/or Personal Use, provided that in each instance:

Where Personal Use means:

1.8 "Personal Use" means use of Covered Code by an individual solely for his
or her personal, private and non-commercial purposes. An individual's use of
Covered Code in his or her capacity as an officer, employee, member,
independent contractor or agent of a corporation, business or organization
(commercial or non-commercial) does not qualify as Personal Use.

That means that if you develop an embedded product, you cannot
distribute the binaries of your software if they were compiled with
OpenWatcom because the generation of those binaries is outside the
scope of clause 2.1, even if you don't charge for the software.

> Perhaps if it was seen as particularly beneficial to use OpenWatcom
> (probably not so likely now that gcc-ia16 is available) then this
> could be looked at further.

To have the option of compile the kernel using OpenWatcom can be
useful to find problems and measuring the quality of code produced by
BCC and ia16-elf-gcc.
For user space, there is the additional problem of the C library.
Neither OpenWatcom nor ia16-elf-gcc have ELKS as target system. To
complicate matters, BCC and ia16-elf-gcc have slightly differents C
calling conventions. I guess also OpenWatcom with the other compilers.

Juan