Re: New GCC compiler for 8086 cpu's

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 4:28 PM, Georg Potthast <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> maybe you can compile Jove with Turbo-C. I read that Jove can be compiled
> for DOS. Turbo-C produces smaller executables and works (after some patches)
> with ELKS too:
>
> http://www.alfonsomartone.itb.it/fhlvnr.html
>
> Regarding the Watcom licence you cited, I think this applies to the Watcom-C
> code itself and not to code generated using Watcom-C. You can generate
> closed source code or public domain code with Watcom-C.

Thanks!  I saw the Turbo C solution before, and it appeals to me
simply because I like DOS :)

Yes, I realise that the license issue presumably only applies to
changes you make to OpenWatcom itself, but I suppose some people may
still find it unacceptable because they want to be able to modify the
compiler for their OS without being bound to release the source code
under those terms.

I imagine that even more people would be unhappy about Turbo C.  I
have it myself, so I'd be okay, but others who don't already have
Turbo C might not want to use binaries I produced myself or to give
Embarcadero their personal details so that they can download Turbo C
themselves.

Perhaps the ideal situation is if everything can be built using bcc,
gcc or some other fully free compiler, but you can optionally compile
it using OpenWatcom or some other compiler to get faster and/or
smaller executables?

Thanks,
David