Debugging "ld86: text segment too large for 16bit"

Hi all,

I thought I'd try porting JOVE to see if an Emacs clone with a few
more features would work, but I get (would it be correct to say "the
dreaded"?) "ld86: text segment too large for 16bit".

I can't seem to find any options to bcc or ld86 to give me more
information to help me avoid the limitation.  For example, it might be
nice to have a map file so I can see the sizes of all the symbols;
maybe I could identify some library functions that would be good to
avoid, or some feature in JOVE that I could try stripping out.  Is
there some way to generate a map file during linking that I missed?
I'm assuming the intent is that you use objdump after linking to
generate a map, so the linker doesn't produce one while it's running?

It looks like it might not be hard to at least modify the error
message to show the actual number of bytes that needed to be fit into
the segment.  I guess that might be useful - if it's 128K I may as
well give up :)  If it's a few K, perhaps GCC would help me!

Thanks in advance,
David