Re: Condensing and re-coding programs to save space

On 2017-02-27 17:02, Marc-F. LUCCA-DANIAU wrote:
The unit tests for networking that I grouped in /elkscmd/test should not be included in the default images (because "test"...), and would be removed in next commits to make room. But we should also provide a more convenient way to customize the image, for a developer to be able to quickly add them back when doing non-regression testing.
I think that the current way of using Makefile stuff to decide what goes in an image does need to be replaced with something more flexible.
Today we have to modify the Makefile to include / exclude a program, 5 different targets for partial / full images, multiplied by the available image formats. Plus now a build_hd_image script that is not consistent (and IMHO, poorly designed as it unpacks an existing image to build another one, in place of building it directly).
I accepted it because it does the job of making a bootable hard drive image; it does need to be changed in the future, but it is a nice stop-gap measure to make more free space available on a root image while all this testing work is being done.
Would be far better to follow the Buildroot / Busybox way, and to select the applets to be installed on the target in a single location. We already have a quite nice kernel configuration tool, why not using it for that selection and the choice of the image format ?
Well, see...that's a problem. The ELKS kernel uses a really old copy of Kconfig from Linux and when I looked at extracting the one used in a more modern Linux source code base the task was far from trivial. A lot of ELKS was cobbled together well over a decade ago. I'm open to moving to a more all-encompassing build system if someone wants to do it, but it certainly will not be a simple task.

-Jody