Re: Some questions on ELKS web sites

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 7:31 AM, Jody Bruchon <jody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 3/22/2015 8:20 AM, MFLD wrote:
>>
>> Then, I would ask maybe a FAQ : what is the ELKS official web site today
>> ? I see mainly a SourceForge page (http://elks.sourceforge.net/) and a
>> GitHub page (https://github.com/jbruchon/elks). What is the right one ?
>
> The GitHub page is the current official site. I haven't touched SourceForge
> in aeons. The old site is mainly there for historical purposes; I've decided
> that until ELKS is a little further along in development, there's no point
> in trying to maintain an informational website for it. The info should be in
> the ELKS documentation/README first and on a website second.

Reasonable.  I recommend quickly archiving most of the top-level
SourceForge page 'News' items on the top page into a /news/
subdirectory page, and replace it with a brief announcement of what
you've said above (with a link to GitHub) - and make this the
main/only content of that top-level page.

For just a few minutes' worth of work, all future searchers get a
clear idea of what's going on (and contributors can find their way to
us more quickly).

> I'd like to see some Ethernet card support in ELKS and that's where I
> personally draw the line; these days, everything is "connected" and SLIP is
> difficult to set up and requires a second computer. Everything in ELKS is
> designed solely to use SLIP and the ktcp program. Once we can connect to the
> Internet properly, we can port or write a text-mode web browser. I think
> that's when it will become more interesting to people in general and will
> justify having a new website.

That sounds awesome.

Royce