Re: ELKS 0.2.0 and ELKS disk images released!

On 3/1/2015 4:59 PM, Royce Williams wrote:
This is *awesome* - exactly the kind of easier-for-the-newbie approach
that I was hoping for!

It certainly was desperately needed. ELKS has been way too clunky to put together and the build system has been pretty broken for FAR too long. The 360K root floppy not building was also a major problem.

If you look at the post-release Git commits, I've also added an image type called "comb360" which is a COMBINED boot+root 360K floppy, and I've also taken the liberty of revising the 0.2.0 image releases to include a comb360 image. To call the available programs "minimal" is being generous, but (A) it boots and (B) it has enough basic commands to do actual useful things. For example: one person who emailed me wanted to use ELKS to erase hard drive partitions on ancient machines and comb360 can be made to do that.

-Jody