Re: Where does ELKS need to go?

Jody wrote:
>* I have a TRS-80 CoCo and an Apple IIgs. Maybe we should port ELKS to those. ;-)

I also have a CoCo.  Got rid of my older PCs and my oldest is now a
586, but I kept my CoCo.

Royce wrote:
>Thinking pie-in-the-sky .... I think that using it to teach elegant OS
>programming under resource constraints would be a great niche.  It's a
>lost art, but one that has many "teachable moments" built in.

That sounds like a great idea.  One of the reasons I was interested in
Elks in the first place is because I wanted to find code that worked
well on low resource systems.  I think there's a need this.

If the project could get some educational groups involved, it might
even pick up some volunteers to help test or code.  I can mention it
on Schoolforge if that would help.

Jody Bruchon wrote:
>I think this is a good niche, but it will require that ELKS diversify beyond the 8086. I see the low-end 32-bit Intel platforms as a good target to begin with; while one can build a nice small Linux for use on a 486, Pentium, or even a VIA C3 or Transmeta Crusoe, such systems are grossly underpowered and somewhat memory-starved for modern Linux, glibc, X.org, gcc, and so on.

There are some Linux distributions that target 486s and up.  Most of
them seem resource heavy to me (and typically use GTK 2 or 3
applications), but they do make an effort to work on older systems.  A
couple of distributions I've been looking at that do work well with
low resources and make an effort to use more efficient programs are
NanoLinux ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/nanolinux/ ), based on
Tiny Core Linux and Nano-X, and Rogue Class Linux (
http://rogueclass.org/ ), gaming system using the framebuffer and SDL.
 Also, the BSD systems seem to work better on low resource machines
than Linux does.

I still think there's a lot of room for improvement in what's
available (especially as far as resource efficient and easily readable
and maintainable programs) for older x86 systems with limited
resources.  It's still good to check what's already out there and not
reinvent the wheel first though.  Devices like Raspberry Pi are also a
possible target option.  I don't think I've seen one distribution for
the Raspberry Pi that's what I would call truly efficient and targeted
for low resources.  If a standard Linux distribution is running okay
on one of these devices, imagine how fast a well designed system would
run.

>So we come back to the original problem: we either need a compiler or a change of target..

Seems like gcc and llvm are the most active as far as compilers at
this point.  gcc still seems to work on more platforms than llvm.  gcc
plus musl (for the standard C library) makes an interesting lighter
weight combination.  The code for OpenWatcom is also available and it
works on several platforms (DOS 16 and 32 bit, Windows, OS/2 options
are available and a Linux target is in the works).  It's not as
actively developed as it once was, but it used to be the most
efficient C/C++ compiler out there for DOS/Windows at one point.  It
also has the only 16 bit C++ compiler for DOS that I've been able to
find.  STL support is not the best.  I ended up creating my own
container library and used it instead.  OpenWatcom is at
http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/Main_Page  There's a recent fork
at http://sourceforge.net/projects/openwatcom/

I personally like the idea of portable (supporting more than one
target).  That way you're not stuck with an operating system that
works on processors or hardware that are no longer available.

Don't know if anyone got further on the project to create something
like Busybox for Elks.  I've been looking into using some of the
earlier Minix utilities with some BSD utilities.  I also have some
alternatives to GNU libintl and libiconv that are more lightweight
than the GNU versions.

At present, I only have x86s (586 and up) systems to test with.
However, would love to find an efficient but still fully functional
operating system to use on all of them.  I've been searching
for/adapting lightweight applications for the command line and
applications using SDL 1.2.x, FLTK 1.3.x and/or ncurses/pdcurses and
attempting to avoid the heavier GUI toolkits.  I already have a pretty
good collection, but there are still some gaps I'm looking to fill.
I've also been looking into backend options for some of the GUI
toolkits such as framebuffer, directfb, nano-x, X, etc.

This also might be of interest.  Someone using musl forked Elk's man
program ( https://github.com/rofl0r/hardcore-utils/blob/master/man.c
).  Don't know if it has any significant improvements over the current
Elks version, but thought I'd mention it.  I've been using the Elks
version of man on Linux and Windows systems.  Like it much better than
the standard man implementation.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp