Re: Where does ELKS need to go? (was: ELKS links broken)

Hi Jody,
I see all of your points, and I was just going to write down the
reason of my renewed interest in this project. It's just vintage
and/or nostalgic and it's not really a business but it's just for
hobby. But there are many pieces of software today made just for
hobby, so I don't blame myself for this.

> * The project has no active real-hardware testers to call upon. No one has
> real hardware AND time for the project AND wants to test changes
Actually I still own a very nice and working Olivetti M24, on which I
managed to test ELKS a bunch of years ago, and on which I'm managing
to put an IDE controller with an 8Gb microdrive (first tests
succeeded), which make really easy testing the . I also tested MINIX
2.0.3 on this one, it's nice, but I think not nicer and expandable as
ELKS is...
I have different ISA bus network cards, two (original) 20Mb MFM hard
drives, an EPP controller with a parallel port iomega ZIP 100Mb
(already slowly working with DOS), and I'm still trying to collect
more vintage/homemade hardware to put to work together.

> * What can/does ELKS offer compared to other small OSes such as NuttX?
Does NuttX run on 8086? ...

> * The compiler we use, bcc, suffers from some serious limitations and
> misbehavior. In particular, nothing can require more than 64K of code,
> including the kernel. The compiler needs some work or we need a new
> compiler.
I was missing this one. I see this is a big limit, though I thought
that bcc was a good and working compiler, and still I found it on
modern gentoo repository, ready to work.
What about (I'm just guessing, I really don't know it) the MINIX
compiler? I saw it working directly on my 8086!
Moreover I wonder what effort would require to improve bcc to avoid that limit.
In my experience I also saw DOS executables much bigger than 64K still
running on the 8086, what can we learn from them? Maybe from freedos?
["MINIX compiler" -> http://tack.sourceforge.net/about.html seems really nice]

> * The "E" in ELKS means "embedded" and yet the only platform it was ever
> developed for was 8086/88 PCs and the Psion SIBO. The 808x target made more
> sense 10 years ago [...] What should ELKS be targeting today?
[...]
> As I would like to see ELKS target other classic CPUs (65816,
> 68000, maybe 6809, etc.)
[...]
> * I have a TRS-80 CoCo and an Apple IIgs. Maybe we should port ELKS to
> those. ;-)
Well, I think that would be great: the big advantage of linux is that
it can run an be ported to many 32/64 bit architectures. We can made
ELKS working on many different 8/16 bit vintage computers, as I said,
not for real business but for hobbyist purposes. I also can't see the
real sense of the "E", at this point.

> Most PCs going in the garbage now are Pentium II/III/4 systems [...]

This project mission, as I see it, could well be to show to the world
how a good code on a very old pc could still get the same results as
many modern software full of garbage and overhead.
Today a basic linux kernel is at least 3Mb compressed, and requires
256Mb of ram to work properly with various bash shells, init scripts,
python, high level interpreted code, and so on (I'm thinking of
Raspberry-Pi). To show it's possible to achieve the same or equivalent
results with many-hundreds-times less hardware resources is a quite
impressive and very educational message to send to this increasingly
rapid growing [tech] world.

I'd like to transform my M24 to a full working (small) web server, I
think I can achieve this goal also with DOS or MINIX, but I think it
would be quite boring. I think ELKS still has a great potential and
its style is more similar to linux, and I really like it.

I hope I has been verbose enough and I look forward to hear what
others think about this.

Best regards,
Edoardo