Re: elksfs removed from ELKS kernel; EMS memory needed

Aha, I did not know that. Then I guess what we have here is an
vendor-neutral and EMM-neutral API doc.

Either way, it's an "high" level API doc for DOS-based EMM managers.
We're looking to actually implement an EMM, which, if they're as you
say hardware-specific, gives me the impression that a separate driver
will be required for each addon board.

There's also the issue of how bcc generates code. Notably it doesn't
support far access or far calls, making usage of EMS quite difficult,
to say the very least, although this doc gives the impression that EMS
can be mapped (by the EMM) into the 640k area, of course, that leads
to us having to use/implement a weird API for apps to use EMS under
ELKS. Which wouldn't be portable at all, to say the least.

I think looking to "newer" CPUs might actually be better off, while
maintaining compatibility with older ones. an 286 can address 16MB of
memory, of which a max of 15MB can be RAM. 386s would be nice as well
- there's plenty of them used in the embedded space.