Re: ELKS CVS imported into Git with all history

On 2/7/12, Jody Bruchon <jody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Additionally, I'd like to assemble a list of open-source compilers that
> can build for 8086 and either are targeted to other 16-bit CPUs or can
> be relatively easily retargeted (I use that term loosely with compilers.
> If anyone has suggestions for alternative compilers, please email me
> with them, and I'll build a list and examine the merits of each against
> the others. The only ones I know of are tcc (by Fabrice Bellard), SDCC
> (targets Z80 but maybe we can retarget it)...and the venerable Bruce's C
> Compiler (bcc) which we already use. I dug up the original (non-Dev86)
> source for it and the 6809 target parts are in that version, so maybe I
> can figure out how to retarget it if I can dig up a 6809 emulator somewhere.

Other alternative compilers:

   open watcom => http://www.openwatcom.org
     Free open source, in active development, complete implementation,
     produces highly optimized code, targets only x86 cpu's.

   gcc-86 =>
       http://git.etherboot.org/?p=people/dverkamp/gcc.git
       http://git.etherboot.org/people/hpa/i86-gcc.git/
       http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-8086/msg00228.html
       http://raisama.net/gcc-8086/
       http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/16bit/gcc/
     Free open source, unofficial, no development, only tiny memory model,
     produces optimized code, multiple targets.

At these moment, I consider more urgent:

  1. Make ELKS work as expected.
  2. Make C code ansi compliant.
  3. Change assembly code to C wherever possible.
  4. Rearrange files such that at the upper level directories there are only
     C, architecture independent code, and below arch/, all assembly and only
     architecture dependent code.

All these ease targeting other cpu's. I'll try to contribute on these.