Re: ELKS CVS imported into Git with all history

On 02/07/12 09:49, Harley Laue wrote:
On 02/05/2012 11:14 PM, Jody wrote:
Hello everyone on the ELKS list; check this out:

http://elks.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=elks/elks;a=summary

Took me a few hours to get right, but there it is, for better or worse. You're welcome. ;-) Now I'm going to bed.

Jody Bruchon
Just a curious question, is there a reason you decided to have elks, elkscmd, and elksnet in the same repo instead of splitting them into their own git repos?
The simplest reason is that it was far easier to do it all in one shot (IOW: I'm lazy); additional thoughts include:

* It's all one big project (i.e. ELKS the kernel is useless without commands to run) * It seems that these components are tightly tied to each other (really, what use is elkscmd without the ELKS kernel?) * elksnet is minuscule and shouldn't have its own repository; if anything, I feel it should be merged into elkscmd. * I'm a minimalist and a pragmatist, and while the command sources should be split from the kernel sources, I see no reason to dump them into different repos; without an obvious and practical good reason to add that extra complication, I won't.

Of course, if I'm wrong in that choice, we should talk about why. Honestly, at this stage, ELKS is in very real danger of dropping into irrelevance and left to rot forever. I could care less if every command had its own git repo, so long as people are working on the project!

Additionally, I'd like to assemble a list of open-source compilers that can build for 8086 and either are targeted to other 16-bit CPUs or can be relatively easily retargeted (I use that term loosely with compilers. If anyone has suggestions for alternative compilers, please email me with them, and I'll build a list and examine the merits of each against the others. The only ones I know of are tcc (by Fabrice Bellard), SDCC (targets Z80 but maybe we can retarget it)...and the venerable Bruce's C Compiler (bcc) which we already use. I dug up the original (non-Dev86) source for it and the 6809 target parts are in that version, so maybe I can figure out how to retarget it if I can dig up a 6809 emulator somewhere.

Jody Bruchon