to make ELKS less 8086-specific and easy portable

Note this message came out of subj: ELKS Git repository up on SourceForge + patches applied

Hello All,

JB>Additionally, I wish to continue discussing options for making ELKS less 8086-specific, and moving to a compiler that can make ELKS more easily portable.

The last discussion about ELKS possible way of porting/evolution was going on here many years ago. As I remember, I've made short conclusion for myself out of all those quite intensive message "ping pong" and brainstorming. The conclusion was similar to: "The 8088/86/286 memory access models make programming for those processors very similar to many 8-bit chips and PDP-11. The 64kb limit is very strong and serious barrier that is not possible to overcome without serious performance penalties (e.g. FORTH or an virtual 32bit RISC CPU). The whole industry already found the way out by switching to a new hardware with 24/32/64bit address space, so most sources around the world is not possible to compile using 64kb code/data segments. If you ever run any virtual machine on 88/86/286 CPU with direct memory access to few MB of RAM then you would run ucLinux instead of ELKS. So, the only possible way for the ELKS evolution is to support EXE (i.e. multi segments executable) and probably support other systems with 16bit address space limit (including those 8-bit and PDP-11)."

Thanks,

Andrey