Re: Elks files and related ones

Hi Chad,

On 4/19/10, Chad <chad.page@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That was just something I was tinkering with...
> ---
> ... I've been meaning to fix up the ELKS build and stuff, but haven't
> gotten around to it yet.  It'd be nice to get it to build with the
> packages in debian+ubuntu (free software can wind up picked up in odd
> ways!) but those tools say the kernel's too big.
>
> If I was to seriously pick the idea up again I'd look at non-MMU arm's
> too small to run ucLinux, ala Cortex-M3 chips.  The trick there's
> minimizing RAM usage - I'm not sure if a conventional UNIX model could
> actually do much with the RAM on the MCU's, but with tight utilities
> it could be useful for embedded things and education.  But in a few
> years they'll probably have 512K-1MB RAM and a clever ucLinux setup
> might actually work.

I share this same dream with you :-)

In fact Cortex-M3 is the best option since it already has uClinux port
done, but Stelaris (Texas Instrument) is delaying to release a version
with more memory.

> For old PC's putting together something around OpenWRT that would turn
> an old laptop/desktop into an applicance, as it were, would be quite
> useful IMO.  A dead-screen laptop could be a wireless router, print
> server, and remote media player all at the same time.  Making that
> something actually easy to set up and use is the important bit...

But I think it should be very nice to see ELKS running in a PC XT,
since this computer started a new age, just like PDP7/11 is in
relation to Unix age. I wish to have a PC XT at home.

Best Regards,

Alan