RE: Elks files and related ones

That was just something I was tinkering with...
---
... I've been meaning to fix up the ELKS build and stuff, but haven't
gotten around to it yet.  It'd be nice to get it to build with the
packages in debian+ubuntu (free software can wind up picked up in odd
ways!) but those tools say the kernel's too big.

If I was to seriously pick the idea up again I'd look at non-MMU arm's
too small to run ucLinux, ala Cortex-M3 chips.  The trick there's
minimizing RAM usage - I'm not sure if a conventional UNIX model could
actually do much with the RAM on the MCU's, but with tight utilities
it could be useful for embedded things and education.  But in a few
years they'll probably have 512K-1MB RAM and a clever ucLinux setup
might actually work.

For old PC's putting together something around OpenWRT that would turn
an old laptop/desktop into an applicance, as it were, would be quite
useful IMO.  A dead-screen laptop could be a wireless router, print
server, and remote media player all at the same time.  Making that
something actually easy to set up and use is the important bit...

(in addition in the US at least a 7yr old scrapped P4 w/512MB, maybe
even 256, can run Linux fine, at least if one tosses a new hard drive
or even an 8GB IDE'd CF in...)

- Kibo^WChad