Re: Has anyone gotten ELKS to run on an I80186 based system?

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 11:36 PM, Grant Stockly <grant@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 01:17 PM 4/27/2008, you wrote:
>
> > I had an old D-link wireless router that used an embedded 80186, had a
> PCMCIA card slot, a PRISM I PC card, and some useful ports on the back.
> Shame that it failed; running ELKS on that would have been like gold.  A
> very lucrative device to develop ELKS on for sure, but the point is that it
> had the 80186 CPU (the 186 was/is an embedded-only CPU, never really used in
> any general-purpose computers to my knowledge).  The COM, LPT, and more than
> one Realtek RTL8019, as well as the PCMCIA interface make it quite possibly
> the most modern-peripheral-laden 16-bit Intel CPU in existence.
> >

>  The 186 was used in CP/M-86 systems.  I have a computer with one that runs
> AutoCAD version 1.4 for CP/M.  I don't know if the 186 was used in computers
> beyond those with the S-100 bus.
>
>  The computer with AutoCAD has more video memory than system memory.  : )
>
>  Grant

Hello!
Strangely enough Grant that did come up. Inside the group, actually a
newsgroup, which supports Kermit, (Program, mind,  not the overworked
and underpaid muppet.)

I have here an accelerator card who has an I80186 on it. At one point
I had an idea to sort out how to reprogram its firmware to pose as
such a system, but the idea ran out of steam, when I couldn't find
anything further about the firm.

The processor was also used for a few embedded projects.

I have a project taking shape that might be able to make use of one,
but right now it is only up to the paperwork and drafting table
status.
--
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@xxxxxxxxx
"This signature was once found posting rude