Re: Porting to different architectures

Agreed... What about MIPS chips ? I hear they are pretty popular.
And what about custom FPGA chips ? I am not an Elec... engineer, but I
am interested as to what kind of operating systems do custom FPGA
chips run ?

regards,
Vikas
On 8/1/06, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ar Maw, 2006-08-01 am 01:27 -0400, ysgrifennodd Jody Bruchon:
> On top of that, the 8088 isn't really even used in embedded stuff
> anymore AFAIK.  From what I understand, the embedded Intel CPU of choice
> is an i386EX and that likely can run Linux unmodified.

Some of the embedded 386 chips can some can't. Not all of them have a
paging MMU some have just segmentation. Nowdays the CPU of choice seems
to be either the VIA fanless processors or the AMD (ex Nat Semi) Geode
system on a chip, both of which are Pentium class or higher

-

-