Re: Porting to different architectures

On top of that, the 8088 isn't really even used in embedded stuff anymore AFAIK. From what I understand, the embedded Intel CPU of choice is an i386EX and that likely can run Linux unmodified.

The biggest problem I see with ELKS is that it has a lot of features, and 90% of said features are either broken, unimplemented, or half-functional. Furthermore, we're so lacking in knowledgeable kernel developers with TIME available to work on the project that it's not going to go anywhere.

Compounding the problems is the fact that bcc has proven time and time again to be a very volatile compiler package, to the point that even one version revision can mean the difference between successful compilation or errors galore.

On a side note, I'm developing an OS for the 6502/65C02/65816 line of CPUs from Western Design Center, if anyone's interested in that kind of stuff.

~Jody

Tom McCabe wrote:

--- Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ar Llu, 2006-07-31 am 21:47 +0200, ysgrifennodd
Javier Sedano:
Hi,

Richard Wallman wrote:
There doesn't seem to be any of the project
admins (the ones with the
CVS SSH key) awake ATM - I was going to see if I
could get a copy of the
key so that *someone* could commit changes!
Failing that, I would
(reluctantly) have to fork the project just to
keep things moving.
	I think there is a (slow, painful, bureaucratic)
mechanism to retake
abandoned projects. If you really want to do it,
mail the sourceforge
team to look for a solution.
If you plan to use it as the basis for a new OS for
something else I
would fork it. The existing project is as good as
dead and it's probably
easier to just turn it into what you need than worry
about breaking the
existing code.

Agreed. We can keep the current version for historical
purposes, and if someone wants to build a better OS
for ancient machines, there are more popular and
better designs than the 8088.

Alan

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line
"unsubscribe linux-8086" in