Re: Peter, Germany, 3.13.0.68-generic

Jupp,

The soft modem code packages include:
1)  a pre-compiled component encrypting Proprietary code, specifically
including the copyrighted compression codes.  If this component needs
upgrade, there is nothing can be done. The compiling for Linux would
have to be by non-cooperating Conexant;
2) A large Open Source component, in which fixes could in principle be
done, to compensate for changes in the rapidly evolving Linux kernel
code.

In principle someone erudite in Linux codes could do 2) fixes, which
are necessary for to compilation to complete. I last tried such fixes
for Conexant code 2 years ago. My memory was I was able to implement 3
fixes, but couldn't accomplish a 4th (or more).

For Linux coding experts, modems simple are not a current interest, in
contrast to new software issues.  The few volunteers following this
List simply do not have the requisite expertise to keep up with the
code evolution.  If you need Graphics for business purposes, your
customers could use a cheap e-camera to take Photos.jpg of the
paperwork, and send you the photo.jpg files a email attachments.

MarvS