Re: Whither linuxant?

RE:   I can't believe they didn't just open source their drivers
before they closed the doors.
The Linuxant code package has two parts:
1) a precompiled/encrypted component which includes the Copyrighted
compression routines and other highly competitive and Proprietary
information.  This likely needs no updating.
2) An Open Source (though still Propietary component) which needs
occassional updates with the evolving changes in the Open Source Linux
kernel

1) One is a problem for some Users with x86_64 systems. Linuxant is
evidently no longer interested in paying the primary code owners for
doing the 64 bit compiles under Linux
2)  in principle it could be done.
But there simply is no one left in the Linmodems group with expertise
to do these Open Source fixes, though I tried for a while.  Linuxant
is a for profit organization, and evidently is no longer making enough
from modem Users, to warrant their spending time on such frequent
updates.

MarvS
scanModem maintainer, age 75