Re: Joe USA Kernel 2.6.32-29-generic Martian Driver

Thank you for your previous responses. I finally had an opportunity to work on the Ubuntu modem installation again.

I followed the installation commands that you provided, but used sudo checkinstall instead of sudo make install. I did not notice any error messages.

I ran wvdialconf and created the wvdial.conf file. I added the "Carrier Check = no" line and tried connecting to the Prodigy account. It failed until I added the "Stupid mode = yes" line to the file. I also found the "Ask Password = yes" option and added that line to the two dialing options. I need to do some additional debug on the ATTGlobal connection. But, you advice is welcome.

The modem is now working on one ISP connection from wvdial but not from GNOME PPP. But I also see an error message in the wvdial log, "Cannot get information for serial port" (see log below).

When I try to use GNOME PPP, I get the dialog box asking for me to enter the password. After entering the password, I get the message "Can not open the modem". If I click setup, and search for a modem, I get the message "no modem was found on your system".

My questions:

        Are the wvdial and GNOME PPP serial port errors related?

How do I enable GNOME PPP to recognize the modem? Do I need to add some symbolic links?

        How do I fix the wvdial serial port configuration error?

        Am I missing something in the ATTGlobal section of wvdial.conf?

        Any idea what prompt ATTGlobal is looking for?

Again, thank you in advance for your assistance.

My wvdial.conf file is:
---------------------------------------
# 5-2-11 Added 2nd phone info
# 5-4-11, Add Ask Password to defaults
#
[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Baud = 460800
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttySM0
ISDN = 0
# Add Carrier Check = no
Carrier Check = no
# Added Stupid mode = yes
Stupid mode = yes
Phone = ProdigyPhoneNumber (removed phone number)
Username = bbbbbbbbbbbbb (removed ID)
# Password = aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  (removed passwork)
Ask Password = yes
#
#
# Add ATTGlobal connection
[Dialer ATTGlobal]
# Try changing Stupid mode = no
Stupid mode = no
Phone = ATTGlobalPhoneNumber (removed phone number)
Username = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   (removed ID)
# Add Ask Password instead of hard coding password
# Password = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (removed passwork)
Ask Password = yes
---------------------------------

We have two dial-up ISPs, Prodigy and ATTGlobal. I can use wvdial to connect to Prodigy but not ATTGlobal.
The connection logs:
----------------------------------
Prodigy connection log

systemadmin@Joe-ThinkPad:~$ sudo wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot get information for serial port. *** This may be related to the GNOME PPP problem
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Please enter password (or empty password to stop):
--> Sending: ATDT962-9803
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT962-9803
CONNECT 30666 V42bis
--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Wed May  4 23:40:22 2011
--> Pid of pppd: 2508
--> Using interface ppp0
--> pppd: ??D[08]??D[08]
--> pppd: ??D[08]??D[08]
--> pppd: ??D[08]??D[08]
--> pppd: ??D[08]??D[08]
--> local  IP address 12.77.244.106
--> pppd: ??D[08]??D[08]
--> remote IP address 199.70.250.6
--> pppd: ??D[08]??D[08]
--> primary   DNS address 68.94.156.1
--> pppd: ??D[08]??D[08]
--> secondary DNS address 68.94.157.1
--> pppd: ??D[08]??D[08]

At this point I can use Firefox in the systemadim account or switch to a user account and use Firefox and Eudora OSE.

---------------------------------
ATTGlobal connection log

systemadmin@Joe-ThinkPad:~$ sudo wvdial ATTGlobal
[sudo] password for systemadmin:
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Please enter password (or empty password to stop):
--> Sending: ATDT226-0245
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT226-0245
CONNECT 32000 V42bis
--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt. ******* Any idea what prompt ?????
GA
--> Don't know what to do!  Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
--> Starting pppd at Wed May  4 23:36:02 2011
--> Pid of pppd: 2497
--> Using interface ppp0
--> pppd: [10]??[08]8??[08]
--> pppd: [10]??[08]8??[08]
--> pppd: [10]??[08]8??[08]
--> pppd: [10]??[08]8??[08]
--> pppd: [10]??[08]8??[08]
--> Disconnecting at Wed May  4 23:36:04 2011
--> The PPP daemon has died: Authentication error.
--> We failed to authenticate ourselves to the peer.
--> Maybe bad account or password? (exit code = 19)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> I guess that's it for now, exiting
--> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 19)
systemadmin@Joe-ThinkPad:~$