Re: Joe USA Kernel 2.6.32-29-generic Martian Driver

Antonio and MarvS

Thank you for your responses and I have a couple of follow-up questions.

I used the Ubuntu Software Center to uninstall martian-modem-source, but I did not think to check for other files that might remain before I did the tar download.

I downloaded the martian-full-20100123.tar.gz file, and the file is now in my Download subdirectory.

I now have the following files on my system with "martian" as part of the filename.

/home/systemadmin/Downloads/martian-full-20100123.tar.gz, 21 Apr 2011, tar archive

Some of these files in this group may be from the tar download and some might be left over from the martian-modem-source install and removal.
/etc/init.d/martian-modem, 5 Feb 2010, shell script
/etc/default/martian-modem, 5 Feb 2010, plain text document
/var/lib/update-rc.d/martian-modem, 22 Mar 2011, plain text document
/var/lib/dpkg/info/martian-modem.postrm, 5 Feb 2010, shell script
/var/lib/dpkg/info/martian-modem.list,21 Apr 2010, plain text document
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/log_martians, 23 Apr 2011, plain text document
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/default/log_martians, 23 Apr 2011, plain text document
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/lo/log_martians, 23 Apr 2011, plain text document
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/log_martians, 23 Apr 2011, plain text document

I think this group of files is left over from the martian-modem-source Ubuntu Software Center install.
/etc/rc0.d/K20martian-modem, 5 Feb 2010, link to shell script
/etc/rc1.d/K20martian-modem, 5 Feb 2010, link to shell script
/etc/rc2.d/S20martian-modem, 5 Feb 2010, link to shell script
/etc/rc6.d/K20martian-modem, 5 Feb 2010, link to shell script
/etc/rc4.d/S20martian-modem, 5 Feb 2010, link to shell script
/etc/rc5.d/S20martian-modem, 5 Feb 2010, link to shell script
/etc/rc3.d/S20martian-modem, 5 Feb 2010, link to shell script

My follow-up questions:

Should I ignore the other "martian" files and proceed with the tar decompression and compile? (see other questions below)

Should I remove all of the "martian" files including the tar file and start again by downloading the tar file?

Should I delete any of the files in the first group above? (e.g. /etc/init.d/martian-modem, 5 Feb 2010, shell script)

Should I delete the K20martian-modem and S20martian-modem files in the /etc/rc... subdirectories that remain from the martian-modem-source install?

Do I run the tar decompression from the Download subdirectory or another location?

I looked for a lib6 package on the Ubuntu Software Center, and did not find a package.

        Is the reference to the lib6 package the same as libc6-dev?

The Ubuntu Software Center indicates that libc6-dev and linux-libc-dev are both on my laptop.

Is there a terminal command that I can use to determine if libc6-dev and linux-libc-dev are correctly installed?
        or
        Do I still need to use the dpkg command to install libc6-dev (libc6*)?
        Should I also use the dpkg command to install linux-libc-dev?

Again, thank you in advance for your advice.