Re: John Smithson, Australia kernel 2.6.32-28-generic

 [-----and previously-----]

> Here is the terminal output: (I can hear all the noises and even on the
> phone in the house if I pick it up):
> jonathan@jonathan-desktop:~$ sudo wvdial
[-----snip-----]
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT01983311111
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT01983311111
--> Timed out while dialing.  Trying again.
--> Sending: ATDT01983311111
--> Waiting for carrier.
--> Timed out while dialing.  Trying again.
--> Sending: ATDT01983311111
--> Waiting for carrier.
NO CARRIER

[-----end quote-----]

Like the original poster (quoted above), I am in .au and I have
martian modem working on an IBM X24 notebook. Others on this list have
greater expertise than I, but my past experience motivates me to offer
some miscellaneous suggestions in case any are helpful.

1) The command I use to start the modem is
/usr/sbin/martian_modem --country=au

2) During my troubleshooting setup (a couple of years ago), I found it
clearer to use minicom to communicate directly with the modem rather
than using wvdial which I never found helpful. Now I use pppd with my
own chatscript instead of wvdial.

If I recall correctly, wvdial was/is unable to parse correctly the
login strings sent by my ISP, and completely failed to explain this as
the true cause of its failure, and aborted with some misleading
message (which I have forgotten). Perhaps something similar happens
here? So wvdial was extremely unhelpful for my troubleshooting,
whereas sending interactive AT commands revealed the true situation.

3) While unusual, it is not impossible that other devices (such as
phone, fax, answering machine, any extension phones) connected to the
telephone line might be reducing the signal available to the modem. I
suggest disconnecting all other devices from the telephone line when
testing, and/or test at another site without any other telephonic
devices.

4) Iit looks like you are close to a successful result. Don't give up.

PS: My sincere thanks for the awesome work by the developers and
supporters of all linux softmodems.

David