Re: Error setting up dialup in Ubuntu 10.10 kernel 2.6.35.22

Derek,

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 3:33 AM, Derek <yawder@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've installed Agere LTmodem in 10.10 using latest martian-full-20100123
> but cannot dial out either as user or root.  Both sudo wvdial and sudo
> gnome-ppp indicate error as follows:
>
> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
> --> Cannot open /dev/ttySM0: Input/output error - on subsequent wvdial
> -No such file or directory
> --> Cannot open /dev/ttySM0: No such file or directory
> --> Cannot open /dev/ttySM0: No such file or directory

Did you run
$ sudo martian_modem
before
$ sudo wvdial
?

If you did not, that is probably the reason it is not working.  Did
you configure martian service to start when the computer runs?  If you
did not, this is why you are seeing this kind of messages.

I do not know if the scripts in the directory for automation work in
Ubuntu like they do in Fedora or other RPM based distros?  The script
calls chkconfig which is (I believe) not present on Ubuntu/Debian.
They use another method.  You need to add the martian service to make
the automation work at boot time so you won't get these kind of
messages.

HTH,

Antonio