Re: issue installing modem

Bill,

You have installed a driver, may I ask which one?

Did you install the generic one:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/archive/hsfmodem-7.80.02.06full/hsfmodem_7.80.02.06full_i386.deb.zip?

this one would not work, since your machine is 64 bit::

CPU=x86_64,  Ubuntu ,  ALSA_version=1.0.23

There are no generic packages (debian/ubuntu) for 64 bit systems,
maybe get the tar.gz
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/archive/hsfmodem-7.80.02.06x86_64full/hsfmodem-7.80.02.06x86_64full.tar.gz

Another one?

The modem is served by hsfmodem software:

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:10.1:
	Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio "
CLASS=0403
PCIDEV=10de:026c
SUBSYS=103c:30b7
IRQ=21
HDA2=00:10.1
SOFT=10de:026c.HDA
ArchivedChip=0x14f12bfa
CodecClass=14f1
IDENT=hsfmodem
SLMODEMD_DEVICE=hw:0,6
Driver=hsfmodem-drivers

 For candidate modem in:  00:10.1
   0403 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio
      Primary device ID:  10de:026c
    Subsystem PCI_id  103c:30b7
    Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics:
                               from    Archives: 0x14f12bfa

Support type needed or chipset:	hsfmodem

For owners of a Dell PCs with Conexant HSF modems, a driver source
package with full speed enabled is available, but requires driver
compiling. Read DOCs/Conexant.txt

Modem support packages from Linuxant include resources for compiling drivers.
If an installer package matching your kernel_version  is not provided,
just install a generic code package.

 From  http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php
 download hsfmodem-7.80.02.05full_k2.6.32_28_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip
 Under Linux unpack with:
 $ unzip hsfmodem*.zip
 Then install with:
 $ sudo dpkg -i hsfmodem*.deb
 Subsequently, the modem should be found with
 $ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
 Edit in your personal information with:
 $ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
 and try dialing out with: