Re: Alvaro Isaza, Colombia, kernel 2.6.35-22-generic

Alvaro,

scanModem reports that your driver is supported through hsfmodem drivers:

It also states that you have the driver already loaded:
The modem symbolic link is /dev/modem -> ttySHSF0
Did you load the drivers? or they are already there?

Some things to think about:
     Within /etc/udev/ files:
/etc/udev/rules.d/00-hsf.rules:KERNEL=="ttySHSF0", SYMLINK="modem"
and
     Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem.conf:# Uncomment these entries in
order to blacklist unwanted modem drivers
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem.conf:# blacklist snd-atiixp-modem
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem.conf:# blacklist snd-via82xx-modem
/etc/modprobe.d/hsf.conflicts.conf:install snd-via82xx-modem /bin/true
# temporarily disabled by hsf - conflicts with hsfmc97via
/etc/modprobe.d/hsf.conflicts.conf:install snd-atiixp-modem /bin/true
# temporarily disabled by hsf - conflicts with hsfmc97ati
/etc/modprobe.d/hsf.conf:alias /dev/modem /dev/ttySHSF
/etc/modprobe.d/hsf.conf:install /dev/ttySHSF /sbin/modprobe
hsfpcibasic2; /sbin/modprobe hsfpcibasic3; /sbin/modprobe hsfmc97ich;
/sbin/modprobe hsfmc97via; /sbin/modprobe hsfmc97ali; /sbin/modprobe
hsfmc97ati; /sbin/modprobe hsfmc97sis; [ -e /lib/modules/`uname
-r`/extra/hsfusbcd2.ko ] && /sbin/modprobe hsfusbcd2; /sbin/modprobe
snd_hda_intel; [ -e /lib/modules/`uname
-r`/extra/snd-hda-codec-hsfmodem.ko ] && /sbin/modprobe
snd-hda-codec-hsfmodem; /bin/true
     Within any ancient /etc/devfs files:

     Within ancient kernel 2.4.n /etc/module.conf files:
/etc/modules.conf:alias /dev/modem /dev/ttySHSF
/etc/modules.conf:probeall /dev/ttySHSF hsfpcibasic2 hsfpcibasic3
hsfmc97ich hsfmc97via hsfmc97ali hsfmc97ati hsfmc97sis hsfusbcd2
snd_hda_intel snd-hda-codec-hsfmodem
--------- end modem support lines --------

scanModem also reports that the kernel-headers were not found,

 linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic resources needed for compiling are
not manifestly ready!

 If compiling is necessary packages must be installed, providing:
	 linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic

Is Ubuntu now including the drivers by default, if Alvaro did not
install hsfmodem drivers through the generic source packages?

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:07.0:
	Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP67 High Definition Audio "
CLASS=0403
PCIDEV=10de:055c
SUBSYS=103c:30cf
IRQ=21
HDA2=00:07.0
SOFT=10de:055c.HDA
IDENT=hsfmodem
Driver=hsfmodem-drivers

 For candidate modem in:  00:07.0
   0403 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP67 High Definition Audio
      Primary device ID:  10de:055c
    Subsystem PCI_id  103c:30cf
    Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics:
                               from    Archives:

Support type needed or chipset:	hsfmodem

For owners of a Dell PCs with Conexant HSF modems, a driver source
package with full speed enabled is available, but requires driver
compiling. Read DOCs/Conexant.txt

Modem support packages from Linuxant include resources for compiling drivers.
If an installer package matching your kernel_version  is not provided,
just install a generic code package.

 From  http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php
 download hsfmodem-7.80.02.05full_k2.6.35_22_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip
 Under Linux unpack with:
 $ unzip hsfmodem*.zip
 Then install with:
 $ sudo dpkg -i hsfmodem*.deb
 Subsequently, the modem should be found with
 $ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
 Edit in your personal information with:
 $ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
 and try dialing out with:
 $ sudo wvdial.
 See DOCs/Testing.txt  for details.

 The directions following below need only be pursued, if the above
procedures are not adequate.

Start at http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/downloads-license.php to find the
hsfmodem package matching your System. For several Linux distros, there are
precompiled drivers matched to specific kernels. These have within the FileName,
your KernelVersion:	2.6.35_22_generic
They can be found through
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php
A more precise location may be given a few paragraphs below.
If an EXACT Match with your your KernelVersion is not found, one of the
"Generic packages with source" near the bottom of the page must be used.
Downloaded packages must be moved into the Linux partition (home folder is OK)
and unzipped with:
	unzip hsf*.zip
The installation command for a .deb suffic packages is, with root/adm
permission:
  sudo dpkg -i hsf*.deb
while for .rpm suffix it is, with:
  rpm -i hsf*.rpm