Re: John S, USA, kernel 2.6.24-28-generic

John,

Near  the bottom of http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/full/downloads.php
use the 	hcfpcimodem_1.21full_i386.deb.zip
which includes tbe resources for compiling the drivers.

MarvS

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Sacman Agency Staff
<staff.asacman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> The cause of this problem is usually a missing or misconfigured
> kernel source tree (and sometimes an incorrect directory or symbolic link).
>
> First, ensure that the proper kernel source and compiler packages
> from your distribution vendor and/or the community are installed.
>
> The Linux kernel can then be reconfigured by running "make menuconfig"
> under the kernel source directory (usually /usr/src/linux).
>
> Verify that the proper options for your system are selected,
> and that CONFIG_SMP ("Symmetric multi-processing support" under
> "Processor type and features") is disabled, as this driver is
> presently designed to work on single-processor machines.
>
> Then compile and install your new kernel (for more information about
> this procedure, see the README file under the kernel source directory),
> reboot the system using the new kernel, and re-run "ripconfig".
>

> Not sure where to go from here.
> Thanks
>

> On 10/28/2010 8:05 PM, Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
>>
>> John,
>>
>> I need to do a correction in scanModem concerning Riptide, concerning your
>> Â 0780 Communication controller: Rockwell International Riptide HCF
>> 56k PCI Modem
>> Â Â ÂPrimary device ID: Â127a:4321
>> ÂSupport type needed or chipset: Â ÂHCF.Riptide
>>
>> On http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/riptide/index.php it is instructed:
>> If you have a RipTide HCF modem (127A:4321 or 127A:4331), you need to
>> install *both* the RIPTIDE and HCF drivers, otherwise the modem will
>> *not* work.
>> So get to work on that process, after first establishing compiling
>> support as Tony instructs.
>>
>> MarvS
>> scanModem maintainer
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 10:22 PM, Antonio Olivares
>> <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx> Âwrote:
>>>
>>> John,
>>>
>>> Before you attempt to do anything, you need to get compiler& Âkernel
>>> source/kernel headers:
>>>
>>> ÂThe kernel was compiled with gcc version 4.2.4 and a compiler is not
>>> installed
>>>
>>> Âlinux-headers-2.6.24-28-generic resources needed for compiling are
>>> not manifestly ready!
>>>
>>> But it also tells you how you may fix this:
>>>
>>> If an alternate ethernet connection is available,
>>> $ Âapt-get update
>>> $ Âapt-get -s install linux-kernel-devel
>>> will install needed packages.
>>> For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to
>>> display the needed package list:
>>>
>>> Otherwise packages have to be found through http://packages.ubuntu.com
>>> Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
>>> they can be installed alltogether with:
>>> $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
>>>
>>> try get those packages, and then follow the directions provided here:
>>>
>>> Predictive Âdiagnostics for card in bus 00:0b.1:
>>> Â Modem chipset Âdetected on
>>> NAME="Communication controller: Rockwell International Riptide HCF 56k
>>> PCIDEV=127a:4321
>>> SUBSYS=1235:4321
>>> IRQ=9