Re: John S, USA, kernel 2.6.24-28-generic

John,

Before you attempt to do anything, you need to get compiler & kernel
source/kernel headers:

 The kernel was compiled with gcc version 4.2.4 and a compiler is not installed

 linux-headers-2.6.24-28-generic resources needed for compiling are
not manifestly ready!

But it also tells you how you may fix this:

If an alternate ethernet connection is available,
$  apt-get update
$  apt-get -s install linux-kernel-devel
will install needed packages.
For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to
display the needed package list:

Otherwise packages have to be found through http://packages.ubuntu.com
Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
they can be installed alltogether with:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

try get those packages, and then follow the directions provided here:

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:0b.1:
   Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Communication controller: Rockwell International Riptide HCF 56k
PCI Modem"
CLASS=0780
PCIDEV=127a:4321
SUBSYS=1235:4321
IRQ=9
IDENT=HCF.Riptide

 For candidate modem in:  00:0b.1
  0780 Communication controller: Rockwell International Riptide HCF
56k PCI Modem
     Primary device ID:  127a:4321
 Support type needed or chipset:    HCF.Riptide
 Under Linux 2.6.n kernels, the chipset is NOT SUPPORTED . Read
DOCs/InfoGeneral.txt about alternatives.

For owners of a Dell PCs with Conexant HSF modems, a driver source
package with full speed enabled is available, but requires driver
compiling. Read DOCs/Conexant.txt

Under 2.4.n kernels install both the RIPTIDE and HCF or HSF drivers,
otherwise the modem will *not* work.
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/riptide/index.php explains why
this modem which REQUIRES the additional installation of a Riptide driver.
Under 2.6.n kernels, the hsfmodem package may provide modem support.
But there will be no audio functions. See
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/riptide/index.php?PHPSESSID=19b31933499f87b5b150db2315f714bd

For all code packages from Linuxant.com, either a driver set matching
the boot kernel will be installed,
or the drivers will first be compiled and then installed. The expert
on modem software for Linux is
"Support (Jonathan)" <modem.support@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

 From  http://www.linuxant.com/drivers//downloads-ubuntu-x86.php
 download -7.80.02.06full_k2.6.24_28_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip
 Under Linux unpack with:
 $ unzip *.zip
 Then install with:
 $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
 Subsequently, the modem should be found with
 $ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
 Edit in your personal information with:
 $ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
 and try dialing out with:
 $ sudo wvdial.
 See DOCs/Testing.txt  for details.

*** I just hope that this part does not apply:

     Primary device ID:  127a:4321
 Support type needed or chipset:    HCF.Riptide
 Under Linux 2.6.n kernels, the chipset is NOT SUPPORTED . Read
DOCs/InfoGeneral.txt about alternatives.

Regards,

Antonio