Re: Bill Moore, Canada kernel 2.6.32-25-generic

Bill,

scanModem reports that you have a modem that needs hsfmodem drivers:

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:0d.0:
	Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. SoftV92
SpeakerPhone SoftRing Modem with SmartSP "
CLASS=0780
PCIDEV=14f1:2f30
SUBSYS=14f1:205d
IRQ=5
IDENT=hsfmodem
Driver=hsfmodem-drivers

 For candidate modem in:  00:0d.0
   0780 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. SoftV92
SpeakerPhone SoftRing Modem with SmartSP
      Primary device ID:  14f1:2f30
 Support type needed or chipset:	hsfmodem

For owners of a Dell PCs with Conexant HSF modems, a driver source
package with full speed enabled is available, but requires driver
compiling. Read DOCs/Conexant.txt

For all code packages from Linuxant.com, either a driver set matching
the boot kernel will be installed,
or the drivers will first be compiled and then installed. The expert
on modem software for Linux is
"Support (Jonathan)" <modem.support@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

 From

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php#generic

 download a generic package

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/archive/hsfmodem-7.80.02.06full/hsfmodem_7.80.02.06full_i386.deb.zip

 Under Linux unpack with:
 $ unzip hsfmodem*.zip
 Then install with:
 $ sudo dpkg -i hsfmodem*.deb
 Subsequently, the modem should be found with
 $ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
 Edit in your personal information with:
 $ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
 and try dialing out with:
 $ sudo wvdial.
 See DOCs/Testing.txt  for details.

You might need alsa-lib package if your modem is of HDA type?
http://www.linuxant.com/alsa-driver/archive/alsa-driver-linuxant-1.0.23.0/alsa-driver-linuxant_1.0.23.0_all.deb.zip

 Read DOCs/Conexant.txt

Regards,

Antonio