Re: Jeff Hunt, New Zealand, kernel 2.6.32-24-generic [Now basic operationsunder Linux]

Unsubscribe

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacques Goldberg <goldberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:50:06
To: Jeff Hunt<jeffhunt90@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <Discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Jeff Hunt, New Zealand, kernel 2.6.32-24-generic [Now basic operations
 under Linux]

  Jeff,

Please see my comments in line below:

On 09/21/2010 08:50 AM, Jeff Hunt wrote:
> Thanks so much guys, you are great. I have been trying to do winmodems
> for years now and always gave up before I got there.
General: what is the purpose of your mail? To obtain direct replies or
suggest better information on our Web site?
> Some points to ponder if you care to.
> 1. Where are the full controller modems, including external modems. It
> seems oddly difficult to buy anything that just works. I use aging
> Dynalink and US-Robotics external modems when I can find them.

Is this a question to us about documenting full controller modems, or an
expression of nostalgy towards the good days where you could buy them?

> 2. Gnome-ppp has an autodetect for modems. Just as I was on the point
> of giving up yet again I tried to autodetect and it found my new
> driver. This might be worth mentioning in the documentation.
This autodetect is using wvdial . There are two cases:
-The trivial case when this autodetect works, hiding from your eyes the
job which wvdial does
-The very frequent non trivial case where it does not, forcing users to
ask us for help (which we are pleased to deliver).
Furthermore some problems sometimes pop up with selected ISP's such as
DNS definitions or security (such as pap/chap issues), where autodetect
has worked but nothing works beyond it and the user does not know where
to try to intervene.
This is why we simply recommend users to use wvdial at least during
first installation and debugging.
Later below you ask about logs: a feature of gnome-ppp autodetect is to
hide the log from you while wvdial has exactly the opposite approach.
wvdial is in the spirit of Linux while gnome-ppp is in the spirit of
"the other"  operating system.
> 3. What are the files that affect ppp and what rights should they have
> to work. It seems that every time I try to get a modem running I come
> up against another unwritable file. Are these files documented?
> pap-secrets and chap-secrets are two troublesome ones.
The files which you may have to dig in are in /etc/ppp , in particular
/etc/ppp/options . If you change any of their permissions you also
widely open your computer to hacking, so you should NEVER change any of
these permissions. Linux not like "the other" O.S. is a multiuser O.S.
As soon as you connect to a network your computer can be accesses from
the network, and the hackers have no rest until they break in. That's
why Linux locks the accesses, and why you better not unlock them.
Always use    su or sudo, not unlocking protections, and then sleep in
Peace.
The documentation follows the general Unix/Linux rule. Every
program/application should be documented by a man file.
"man" stands for MANUAL (you know, manual from Read The Manual First).
For example the command line  ls    issues a list of files.
To learn how to use   ls   you need to type command    man ls
For ppp you would thus try    man  ppp
No man ppp ?
Start with  command     apropos ppp    and you get a list of all  ppp
related  manuals.
Including /etc/ppp/options
Where you will find (almost)  everything you may want to know about pap
and chap
Almost, because some ISP (or rather, the softwares they use, such as
mschap , guess what ms means there, do not respect standards).
> 4. Related to the above. Where are the logs. I found a really good one
> and then rebooted and forgot what I had been reading. Duuh (!?)

Normally, unless somebody in some Linux distribution decided otherwise,
the place is /var/log
> 5. I tried with an intel chip modem and gave up (no dialtone even
> though it initialised and I knew there was a dialtone) so I put in a
> Conexant and (of course) got a hardware conflict. I solved this by
> moving the Conexant to another slot. How do I remove the intel driver
> and free the slot/interrupt?
Interesting, at last a modem related issue, because so far what I typed
here is barely something else from a part of a very basic introduction
to Linux, not to modems,
to answer this we would need the scanModem output generated with the
"Intel chip modem" and a report from you of exactly which driver file
you installed for it.
When you installed the driver for your "Intel chip modem" (where, short
of is ModemData.txt, it remains to be seen how much an Intel modem this
is .... and I know why I write this) a loadable kernel module was
installed and activated. The command     lsmod     will  show it.  The
command rmmod   will remove it.  In order to avoid the system to reload
it at next boot    once you know the name of this loadable module (often
more than one, such as with Linuxant drivers)   you have to find it on
disk, using the   Linux   find    command   ( use man find  to learn how
to use find), not forgetting to   append   .ko  at the end of the module
name.  Then you delete this file with the Linux command    rm    ( man
rm   to learn it).
> Anyway really impressed with the people who helped. Many thanks.

One of th things I did to try to help was to write most of the pages
in   http://linmodems.technion.ac.il , including the main page and
advice in there which covers most of what you asked.

Further suggestions welcome. Thanks for them in advance.

Jacques