Re: no audio from my modem

 Andrea,

When modem A begins a connection to modem B it dials the number of modem B; if modem B answers it sends a sound wave with a first frequency tune; modem A recognizes it and both modems start exchanging various tunes of various frequencies while checking for errors in the transmission of the tunes, until they reach an agreement on the best trade off between speed and rate of errors (which grows as the rate grows). At the end of such a process modem A reports on your screen the message

CONNECT 50667

which means: we modems A and B managed to connect and decided to work at 50667 bauds (bits per second) for the time being (as long as the error rate does not become wuch higher than now).

Since you got the message
CONNECT 50667
your modem is working.
The reason why you  do not hear the noises which you rightly expect is that the driver software (slmodem in your case if I understood correctly) does not include the function of making this sound reach the loudspeaker of your modem. Simply, nobody needs this noise, and the author of the driver, who was not paid and did the work as a volunteer for the Linux version of this driver, did not find it useful to waste time on this feature.

The reason for the connection failure is therefore not in those sounds.
The failure has to do with the negotiation of the login procedure, which starts and does not succeed. The fact that it starts is the proof that the modem hardware and software work correctly.

The first thing to do now is to:
1-decide that during all the testing you use only directly wvdialconf and wvdialconf, and the file /etc/wvdial.conf, and not gnomeppp because this nice interface to hidden wvdial hides all details
(as happens every time a Linux GUI is created to make Linux look like Windows).
2-make sure to first run one time (at least, no more needed) the command  wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
(preceeded by sudo under Ubuntu and other Debian based Linux distributions). Be careful to  remember that wvdialconf and gnomeppp (which uses wvdialconf) do not place the modem configuration file named wvdial.conf at the same place!
3-make sure to correctly modify the file /etc/wvdial.conf so that the Username and the Password are correctly typed.
4-that you have in this file a line
Carrier Check = no
and that you do not have a line
Stupid Mode = yes    (if you have yes or 1  put  no  or 0)

If the login still fails, to find out why please follow, as Antonio suggested, the instructions in http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/post-install.html . Use the instructions to produce debug messages at the end (at the time the modem is trying to connnect) of the file  /var/log/messages
If you do not understand the messages please copy as explained in the web page just quoted the relevant part of /var/log/messages.

Ciao

Jacques