Re: no audio from my modem

Andrea,

I apologize for not responding before.  I saw your ModemData.txt and
from it I saw that it is apparently supported through
SLMODEMD.gcc4.4.tar.gz drivers:

This part is the one that bothers me a bit:
CodecArchived=CXT SIL22

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:02.6:
	Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller "
CLASS=0703
PCIDEV=1039:7013
SUBSYS=1558:4201
IRQ=5
SOFT=1039:7013.MC97
CodecArchived=CXT SIL22
CodecDiagnosed=SIL22
CodecClass=SIL
IDENT=slmodemd
SLMODEMD_DEVICE=modem:1
Driver=snd-intel8x0m

 For candidate modem in:  00:02.6
   0703 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller
      Primary device ID:  1039:7013
    Subsystem PCI_id  1558:4201
    Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics: SIL22, a Smartlink type
                               from    Archives:

 This is a NEW softmodem case!  Please send the output ModemData.txt
 to DISCUSS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx to enrich the Archive and help others!
 If further assistance is not needed, please use email Subject:
     New Case Only
Support type needed or chipset:	slmodemd

 An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem driver:  snd-intel8x0m
 provides Low Level support enabling contact with the modem hardware.
 For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using hsfmodem software)
 complementary High Level support is through a Smartlink utility:  slmodemd

 Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD_gcc4.4_alsa1.0.21.tar.gz having a compiled
slmodemd. Unpack under
Linux with:
 	$ tar zxf SLMODEMD_gcc4.4_alsa1.0.21.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
 	sudo slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa modem:1
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
	/dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow
through guidance.

Regards,

Antonio

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 5:54 AM, andrea <andrea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> i follow this thread:
> <http://linmodems.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?1:mss:36960:201009:oiheklhnmlbdpnojhdpi>
> the modem seems ok, I can see it with gnomePPP, and wvdial, I even
> connect to it with minicom, but id does'nt play any sound.
> I even try to let it call my cell phone: I had the call but it was mute.
> Does a modem wait for a tune, befor emitting sounds? I was expecting to
> hear something like a fax.
> Can this explain that the connection ends with a login fail?
> -- gnome PPP log: --
> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
> --> Cannot get information for serial port.
> --> Initializing modem.
> --> Sending: ATX3
> ATX3
> OK
> --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> OK
> --> Modem initialized.
> --> Sending: ATM1L3DT7020005002
> --> Waiting for carrier.
> ATM1L3DT7020005002
> CONNECT 50667
> User Access Verification
> Password:
> --> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
> --> Connected, but carrier signal lost!  Retrying...
> --> Sending: ATM1L3DT7020005002
> --> Waiting for carrier.
> % Authentication failed.
> Password:
> % Authentication failed.
> Password:
> % Authentication failed.
> NO CARRIER
> --> No Carrier!  Trying again.
> --> Maximum Attempts Exceeded..Aborting!!
> --> Disconnecting at Fri Sep  3 12:50:53 2010
>
> -- end of log --
> thank you

But this could be an authentication error.  Which is your ISP? and did
you use the correct username and password?  This might not be a driver
problem, but a post-install problem.  You may read Jacques'
PostInstall howto

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/post-install.html

Regards,

Antonio