Re: peyton bay, usa, kernel 2.6.24-27-generic

Peyton,

The modem using driver snd-intelx80m should be activated by:
 $ sudo slmodemd -c USA --alsa modem:1
which should report creation of:
    /dev/ttySL0 -->  /dev/pts/N  , N some number
where slmodemd is a VerySmart helper utility doing most of the work.

If the modem is activated open a 2nd console/TAB and test for modem
detection is:
$ sudo wvdialconf

Read the wvdial.txt for follow through details, and email further
questions to the List.

No that modem drivers will occassionally die while loaded.  They can
be refreshed by:
$ sudo modprobe -r snd-intelx80m
$ sudo modprobe  snd-intelx80m
then repeat the activation process.