Re: Joe Philbrook, USA kernel 2.6.30.9-elive-686

It would appear that on Apr 28, Antonio Olivares did say:

> indeed scanModem reports that

-snipped. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .stuff

> SLMODEMD_gcc4.3_alsa1.0.20.tar.gz
>
> is needed but does not exist?
>
> only
>
> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/SLMODEMD_gcc4.4_alsa1.0.20.tar.gz
>
> exists, so how do you approach this matter?
>
> 1)  You can create a slmodemd for yourself
<snip>
> 2) wait for a package to be built by another volunteer
>
> 3) Download/install new version of Ubuntu for which driver exists.
> Those are the options at this time.  Hope that you can get a driver
> for it as soon as possible if option 1 and 3 are out of the question.

Well for me a slight variant on 3...

I'm a multi-Linux/multi-boot user with 4 Linux distros concurrently
installed. The Elive (not actually a Ubuntu BTW) Was going to stay
unmodified as an back-up system for use if something messes with more
up to date stuff... (like kde3 apps that work when kde4 equivalents
don't etc...) And was therefore my first choice for a fix it and
forget it option to maintain a reliable though rarely used back-up to
my current eth0 broadband connection to the Internet.

But I have an Xubuntu (still running from kde4) Karmic installation for
which I just installed slmodemd via: SLMODEMD_gcc4.4_alsa1.0.20.tar.gz
I'm still having issues getting it to work properly however.
But I'll bring that up in a new thread because it's a different distro
& kernel (though on same hardware...)

Thanks for the advise.