Re: Antony, China kernel 2.6.31-20-generic

Antony,

Have you rebooted your machine?
<quote>
A reboot may be necessary before modem detection through:
        sudo modprobe agrserial
 Which will load agrmodem, agrserial and create the symbolic link needed for:
        sudo wvdialconf
</quote>

Also you may be benefitted by installing dkms package:

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040/dkms-agrsm_2.1.80-7_i386.deb

Presently install your Linux Distributions dkms package. It provides
for automated driver updates,
 following upgrade of your kernel.

Let us know if that helped.

Regards,