Re: ModemData Acer Extensa 5630EZ internal modem

Tobi,

Your machine is 64 bit:

CPU=x86_64,  Welcome ,  ALSA_version=1.0.20
Linux version 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version
4.4.1 [gcc-4_4-branch revision 150839] (SUSE Linux) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT
2009-10-26 15:49:03 +0100
 scanModem update of:  2010_03_18

/etc/lsb-release not found

Presently install your Linux Distributions dkms package. It provides
for automated driver updates,
following upgrade of your kernel.  For details see
http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml#dkms

Some modem drivers can only be used in 32 bit modem on x86_64 systems,
while some others are competent on x86_64 Systems.  Cases are:
1) http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-seventh/msg03119.html
for the snd-hda-intel audio+modem driver. Also applicable to AC97
modem controllers.
In both cases, 32 bit libraries must be installed to support the
slmodemd helper having a precompiled 32 bit component.
2) For USB modems using the slusb.ko driver. 32 bit libraries must be
installed to support the slmodemd helper having a precompiled 32 bit
component
3) The hsfmodem and hcfpcimodem drivers for Conexant chipsest modes
are x86_64 competent.
4) agrsm packages for LSI/AgereSystems softmodems are not competent on
x86_64 systems.

Also scanModem reported that it did not find a modem among PCI devices :(

A candidate modem is not transparent among the PCI devices:

and you  may try:

Try with Root permission
 $  wvdialconf  /etc/wvdial.conf
 to detect these modem types and some USB modems.
 If the detection is successful, read the DOCs/wvdial.txt .
 Edit the /etc/wvdial.conf with Root permission:
 	  gedit  /etc/wvdial.conf
  will be able to dial out with Root permission:
	 wvdial

 Many modems for which scanModem fails have Conexant chips.
 From http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/modemident.php
 get the ListModem tool, which will report on Conexant chipset modems

 If the above tests fail, please provide any independent information
available on your modem.
 If an alternative boot into Microsoft windows can be done, do mouse
clicks on:
   Start > Settings > Control Panel > Classical View (for Window XP) > System
> Hardware > Device Manager > Modems > Click on the + > Modem. Double click to
expand the graphic. Manufacturer information may be displayed. For example, CXT
stands for Conexant. Click the Diagnostics Tab. Record any hardware ID or vendor
and device information. From the Driver Details TAB, copy out the
VENdor and DEVice information.
Next do the Query Modem and record the ATI specifications displayed such as:
    ATI3 - Agere SoftModem Version 2.1.22
    ATI5 - 2.1.22, AMR Intel MB, AC97 ID:SIL REV:0x27
Try to identify the modem setup file, with name perhaps MODEM.INF.
If may contain chipset Vendor informaton.

Regards,

Antonio