Re: new ubuntu user needs dialup help

bn881jj,

This means that wvdial did not find a valid username, ISP phone and
password, which you will need to edit and add your information there
:)

; Phone = <Target Phone Number>
 ; Username = <Your Login Name>
 ; Password = <Your Password>

Edit your file,
$ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf

and remove the ";", which means there is a comment and that line is
not executed.

And make the changes

Phone = PUT_YOUR_ISP_PHONENUMBER_HERE
Username = YOUR_USERNAME
Password = PUT_YOUR_PASSWORD_HERE

Then try to connect/dialout.  You might get connected, but not be able
to browse.  The wvdial part will return some values, like

CONNECT 49333 V44
--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Sun Mar 28 22:02:30 2010
--> Pid of pppd: 7241
--> Using interface ppp0
--> pppd: H¹[06][08]èÁ[06][08]
--> pppd: H¹[06][08]èÁ[06][08]
--> pppd: H¹[06][08]èÁ[06][08]
--> pppd: H¹[06][08]èÁ[06][08]

--> primary   DNS address 124.55.66.109
--> pppd: H¹[06][08]èÁ[06][08]
--> secondary DNS address 124.55.66.110
--> pppd: H¹[06][08]èÁ[06][08]

Add those numbers that come out with DNS addresses, put them  into a
file /etc/resolv.conf

$ sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf
and put something like

nameserver 124.55.66.109
nameserver 124.55.66.110

then you should be able to browse.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Antonio