Re: Modem Problem

Hemad,

1) wvdial is not installed :(, scanModem recommends fix:

The dialer utility package WVDIAL does not appear to be installed on
your System.
For Ubuntu users, there are at the bottom of
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/
packages with the files necessary to install wvdial, with names like:
     wvdial_jaunty_amd64.zip   for x86_64, 64 bit bus systems.
     wvdial_jaunty_i386.zip    for 32 bit systems.
     wvdial_karmic_i386.zip    for 32 bit systems.
These are about 1 MB in size.  After downloaded and copied into your
Linux partition:
$ unzip wv*.zip
Within the new folder:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
will  complete the wvdial installation
Please read Modem/DOCs/wvdial.txt for usage information.

2) You have two drivers installed, namely 536ep and snd_via_modem?  loaded:

Potentially useful modem drivers now loaded are:
   snd_via82xx_modem             Intel536

You have two options, continue working with Intel536 drivers and make
the pci modem work, or try to get the via internal modem work via
slmodemd, SLMODEMD.gcc4.3.tar.gz

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:11.6:
	Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC'97 Modem Controller "
CLASS=0780
PCIDEV=1106:3068
SUBSYS=1543:4c21
IRQ=22
SOFT=1106:3068.MC97
CodecArchived=SIL21
CodecClass=SIL
IDENT=slmodemd
SLMODEMD_DEVICE=modem:1
Driver=snd-via82xx-modem

 For candidate modem in:  00:11.6
   0780 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC'97 Modem Controller
      Primary device ID:  1106:3068
    Subsystem PCI_id  1543:4c21
    Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics:
                               from    Archives: SIL21

Support type needed or chipset:	slmodemd

 An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem driver:  snd-via82xx-modem
 provides Low Level support enabling contact with the modem hardware.
 For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using hsfmodem software)
 complementary High Level support is through a Smartlink utility:  slmodemd

 Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.3.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd. Unpack
under Linux with:
 	$ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.3.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
 	sudo slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa modem:1
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
	/dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow
through guidance.

The ALSA verion is 1.0.20
The modem cards detected by "aplay -l"  are:
card 1: modem [VIA 82XX modem], device 0: VIA 82XX modem [VIA 82XX modem]

The /proc/asound/pcm file reports:
-----------------------
00-00: es-1938-1946 : ESS Solo-1 : playback 2 : capture 1
01-00: VIA 82XX modem : VIA 82XX modem : playback 1 : capture 1

about /proc/asound/cards:
------------------------
 0 [Solo1          ]: ES1938 - ESS ES1938 (Solo-1)
                      ESS ES1938 (Solo-1) rev 0, irq 17
 1 [modem          ]: VIA82XX-MODEM - VIA 82XX modem
                      VIA 82XX modem at 0xcc00, irq 22

If you were not to try SLMODEMD.gcc4.3.tar.gz and above instructions,
you may install wvdial and the drivers are already installed, try the
following commands after you install wvdial

$ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

and hopefully it finds modem port /dev/536ep or /dev/modem and then
edit the information namely remove the ";", and add username, phone
number and password.  Let us know how this goes.

Regards,

Antonio