what is a modem riser or modem daughter card in laptops ? small AMR's ?

hi,

I exchanged a pctel303A / W based module with this one:
http://xmodem.org/chipsets/agere/agere_LU97.html

and slmodem kept working. as long as there is no eeprom on the AC'97-Link
module (which I dont think there is) probably not so much lasting
trouble can be done, since the chokes behind the 2-wire-plug to the
phone socket remain in use in a particular laptop.

I guess quite many laptops have such a socket, while not all may be
easily accessible.
In some laptop bodies, where some variants have mini-pci cards, this
module may be located
in the then vacant space of the "mini-pci card bay" and is easily
accessible possibly together with the subassmbly "outward phone plug".
Then you have good repair chances if the modem is broken. Again,
these modules appear to be quite standardized and have some level of
compatibility, as
was proven by slmodem, which drives many different hardware codes
(e.g. scorpio).

I also have a true AMR audio modem riser card sitting on a nvidia bus.
On that AMR, the main components also are that same pctel303a / w pair
of SMT SOC chips. these laptop modules are somewhat functionally
similar  to AMR cards, I conclude. But I think slmodem cannot drive
the nvidia bus and therefore the amr probably does not work with
slmodem, though there is the same pctel303A codec.

greetinx -F