Re: what is a modem riser or modem daughter card in laptops ?

All those really are is a telephone line -> sound card interfaces.
Typically these just handle converting the signals from the sound card
in to the phone line signals.

It is linked directly to the audio bus's modem processing functions, and
to my knowledge are not interchangeable with different ones- since part
of the modem processing is hard coded in to the sound chipset, changing
that board (unless to an identical model) may simply not work or could
have disastrous consequences.

Mini-PCI cards actually have an edge connector on them, just like
full-sized PCI cards. (albeit smaller).

Hope this helps,
Bjorn.