Re: Frank, Germany, PuppyLinux

Frank,

Puppy Linux has support for many winmodems *out of the box*, but
somehow they got this one wrong:

The modem symbolic link is /dev/modem -> ttySHSF0

 A Linuxant bootup diagnostic reported:
 HSF: ERROR: SILICON Laboratories or LUCENT AC97 modem detected!<3>
HSF: ERROR: This driver only supports CONEXANT devices<3>
HSF: ERROR: not a Conexant modem<3>

which needed to be SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz :

The ALSA verion is 1.0.20
The modem cards detected by "aplay -l"  are:
card 1: modem [VIA 82XX modem], device 0: VIA 82XX modem [VIA 82XX modem]

and scanModem confirmation is here:

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:11.6:
	Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Class 0780: 1106:3068 "
CLASS=0780
PCIDEV=1106:3068
SUBSYS=1071:7321
IRQ=10
SOFT=1106:3068.MC97
CodecDiagnosed=SIL21
CodecClass=SIL
IDENT=slmodemd
Driver=snd-via82xx-modem

 For candidate modem in:  00:11.6
   0780 Class 0780: 1106:3068
      Primary device ID:  1106:3068
    Subsystem PCI_id  1071:7321
    Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics: SIL21, a Pctel type
                               from    Archives:

 This is a NEW softmodem case!  Please send the output ModemData.txt
 to DISCUSS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx to enrich the Archive and help others!
 If further assistance is not needed, please use email Subject:
     New Case Only
Support type needed or chipset:	slmodemd

 An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem driver:  snd-via82xx-modem
 provides Low Level support enabling contact with the modem hardware.
 For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using hsfmodem software)
 complementary High Level support is through a Smartlink utility:  slmodemd

 Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd. Unpack
under Linux with:
 	$ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
 	 slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa modem:1
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
	/dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow
through guidance.

Writing DOCs/Smartlink.txt

And they have udev rules to detect this :

 Don't worry about the following, it is for experts should trouble
shooting be necessary.

#v413 Loads modules for modems not autodetected by kernel
SUBSYSTEM=="pci", GOTO="modem_pci"
GOTO="modem_end"
LABEL="modem_pci"

It might be  a good thing to contact Barry maker of Puppy linux about
these modems, so he can manually fix the code and make Puppy support
more winModems out the box than any other livecd/usb/ distro out there
:)

A friend of mine told me about Puppy and that it supported many modems
out of the box, it apparently does :)

Thanks for sending ModemData.txt for both modems.  Indeed the puppy
autodetecter failed to recognize the modems as supported by SLMODEMD
and took the hsf values by default.

Regards,

Antonio