Re: larry, U.S.A. kernel 2.6.27-7-generic

Larry,

scanModem reports that your modem is supported by martian modem drivers:

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:10.0:
	Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Communication controller: Agere Systems WinModem 56k "
CLASS=0780
PCIDEV=11c1:0448
SUBSYS=1668:2000
IRQ=5
IDENT=Agere.DSP

 For candidate modem in:  00:10.0
   0780 Communication controller: Agere Systems WinModem 56k
      Primary device ID:  11c1:0448
 Support type needed or chipset:	Agere.DSP

 The modem has a Lucent/Agere/LSI Mars or Apollo DSP (digital signal
processing) chipset.
Support packages for 2.6.n kernels are at:
 http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian/
Always use the most update for kernels after 2.6.20, currently
martian-full-20080625.tar.gz
For kernels 2.6.20 and less, usr martian-full-20080407.tar.gz.

 See DOCs/AgereDSP.txt for Details.

 At http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian/
get the martian-full-20080625.tar.gz and follow Readme-NOW.html
 0x0448 -- Mars 2 Global Board - data/fax/voice
-------------- end Agere Systems section -------------------

But you do need to hunt down some  packages libc6? see here:

 However some compilations and executable functions may need additional files,
 in the FileNames.h (so called kernel "h"eaders) collection installed
in  /usr/include/ .
 For martian_modem, additional required packages are needed. The also
required headers of package libc6 are commonly installed by default.
 Compiling hsfmodem drivers does require linux-libc-dev and libc6-dev
packages, for kernels 2.6.24 and later versions.
 In not included on your install CD, search for them at
http://packages.ubuntu.com
 or comparable Repository for other Linux distros.
 When compiling ALSA drivers, the utility "patch" will also be needed.

If a driver compilation fails, with message including some lack of
some FileName.h (stdio.h for example), then
Some additional kernel-header files need installation to /usr/include.
The minimal additional packages are libc6-dev
and any of its dependents, under Ubuntu linux-libc-dev

If an alternate ethernet connection is available,
$  apt-get update
$  apt-get -s install linux-kernel-devel
will install needed packages.
For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to
display the needed package list:

Otherwise packages have to be found through http://packages.ubuntu.com
Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
they can be installed alltogether with:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

After you install the libc6-devel and linux-libc-devel

untar martian-full-20080625.tar.gz with
$ tar -zxvf martian-full-20080625,tar,gz

cd to martian and read REAME and follow instructions provided.

Regards,

Antonio