ALi 5451, problems only with recent ALSA driver

Dear Readers,

my ALi 5451 modem used to work perfectly with ALSA driver version
1.0.15, ALSA library 1.0.15 and slmodemd 2.9.11.

Since newer Linux Kernels also brought newer ALSA drivers with them, I
have not been able to get a "CONNECT" with this modem.
I did a number of tests with different distributions and dialling software.

As a workaround, I compiled ALSA driver 1.0.15 for the more recent
Linux kernels, up to 2.6.31, the current release at the time of this
writing. The modem works perfectly with this workaround.
I only need to keep the following source files from ALSA 1.0.15:
control.c, pcm.c, pcm_lib.c, pcm_native.c, asound.h and pcm.h.

However, I lack the necessary insight to determine  whether the
problem is due to the ALSA driver, the ALSA library, slmodemd or other
components.
This problem has been submitted to ALSA as issue #0004601.

Thank you for your assistance!