Re: David Dallas, South Africa kernel 2.6.31-14-generic

Hi Marvin

Thanks for the quick response and stuff you sent.

I've tried under karmic 32 bit and did not succeed. On dialout I got a
'no carrier' warning that continued indefinitely. No luck playing with
alsa support and settings.

I had a few issues with failed installs, and ended up running the
commands manually.
Here are a couple things I noticed in the ./setup file:

      * slmodemd was being un-installed by the ./setup file.

        Line 35:    dpkg -i *.deb
        (Installs the deb package)

        Line 55:
        mv  /usr/sbin/slmodemd /usr/sbin/slmodemd.version_2.9.9
        (renames slmodemd which was just installed)
        Line 56:    cp slmodemd /usr/sbin/
        (tries to copy a file which doesn't exist, and fails)

        All subsequent calls on slmodemd fail as the only version
        on /usr/bin/ is named "slmodemd.version_2.9.9"

      * Line 110:    $ sudo gedit /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon
        Should read: $ sudo /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon restart

      * Line 96 onward to end: seems to be something missing and there
        are a few syntax errors (not that I'm at all an expert). Also,
        text that looks like it should be echoed, isn't being echoed in
        terminal.

Anyway, I had hoped that my boot issues would be solved after installing
the smartlink modules. However, I gave up and pulled the PCI card, as
the IRQ problem on my machine continued even after an attempt at
blacklisting and updating initramfs.

Thanks again for the help

David